Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Spring Harvest and Near Death Experiences...



 Ok, maybe it wasn't SUPER close to death. My wonderful mother-in-law gave me a "sweet basil" plant. I put a hefty helping of the leaves in my made from scratch vegetable soup tonight. After most of us had eaten at least 2 servings, Luke informed me that his mom had just told him on the phone that "Naomi might want to put something else in that pot, cause it wasn't basil. Just some weed." Our kids were joking that we were all going to die and they were telling how they were about to go write up their last will and testament. Thankfully, we were able to identify it as a ground cover plant called "baby tears" or some other one I couldn't pronounce. But they were both edible. My soup tasted good anyway! I could have sworn it smelled like basil before I put it in! I guess I need to know my herbs better. 
 Anyhow...I have been pretty pleased with all the things my tiny farm produced this spring. It was the first time that I had planned a garden and planted it all (Ethan and I, that is) without Luke's help. I was sure that nothing would come up, but it did! Ethan did a good job on his part, too. Here are a few pictures: 






I had to show my pretty $10 petunias first!


Turnips


After three years, we finally have asparagus! It takes that long to produce.
I had to pick the broccoli before it was done to make room for summer vegetables, but I at least got the leaves. 


Ethan grew some nice radishes in his row. We paid him what we thought we would have paid at the store. We thought this would give him a chance to earn some money and be responsible. He is growing carrots, too.
We finally got two brood hens, and we ended up with 14 chicks!

Perhaps the strangest mushroom I have ever seen. It is called a chicken mushroom, and yes, Luke and Ethan ate some. It is totally edible and has the exact texture of chicken!

I have had lots of yummy spring salads
Thank you, hens, for fresh eggs everyday
The collard greens did well

1 comment:

  1. The brockley greens are called Brockley Rab (rob) Heard it on Chopped :)

    ReplyDelete