Saturday, March 17, 2012

Why in the World Would I Celebrate Saint Patrick's Day?

"Why in the world would I want to celebrate Saint Patrick's Day!?"
This is what was going through my mind last year when my girls asked if they could perform their Irish dancing in the Saint Patrick's Day Parade downtown. I mean, I am not even IRISH! (At least, not that I know of!)
Well, here is some things that I have learned about Saint Patrick since I agreed to the girls' participation in Irish Dancing. First of all, he was a missionary. I think I knew that before, but we studied missions in Sunday school and I was reminded about that. But it wasn't until I caught bits and pieces of Justus' Veggietales video as I was walking through the room that I learned a bit more about him. Apparently, he was taken as a slave from England to Ireland and worked for years there. He was able to leave eventually, but felt called to go back as a missionary there later and tell them the gospel. Of course, I know there was a lot more to the story than that, and I would be very interested to learn more about him. (Thanks to Veggietales for helping us learn something about Saint Patrick).
I wish that every person that drinks themselves silly on this day and parties like crazy actually knew a little bit about what it means to surrender your life to God's service and forgive those who have persecuted you, like Patrick did. I think that next year, we should think of ways to tell them about it!!
So I am really ok with celebrating Saint Patrick's Day now. But I still don't get what a shamrock is.

2 comments:

  1. Well the shamrock has three leaves and when he was preaching he said "the three leaves of the shamrock (clover) represents God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.Peaple think if you pick the four leaved clover it is good luck because they are rare.

    ReplyDelete