Saturday, March 10, 2012

Sacrifice

My lifelong friend and her family are moving to France in ten days. Saying goodbye to her won't be anything new to my sister Rachel and I....we have said goodbye and hello to her many times over our lifetimes since she was an MK. And this time it will be better than when we were kids, cause there is Facebook, Skype, etc.... There is awesome adventures awaiting them as they go to language school, and then on to Camaroon, Africa to do mission pilot work. But you know, I was thinking. (Luke always says that is a dangerous thing.) They are really sacrificing a lot. The two main things that stick out to me that they are sacrificing is #1 THE AMERICAN DREAM. You know....own your own home with a white picket fence, letting your kids be in Scouts and going to PTA meetings. All that stuff. And #2 (and the hardest one, I'm sure) is not being close to family. Not seeing them for months at a time. Not eating together every Sunday afternoon. That will be hard.
Now I know that God doesn't call everyone to France or Camaroon. But what if He did? Would you go? Would you give up what you think your life should be? Would you give up the everyday comfort and security of living close to your family and friends in familiar settings?
We are serving God in Alabama because that is where He wants us. But if He called us to leave our home and move away, we would do it because we wouldn't want to be anywhere else but in the center of His will. Neither would my faithful friends who are moving to France :) I will miss them so much, but I want them to go because they are going to do awesome things for God, and I can't wait to see it happen!

2 comments:

  1. thanks naomi! that means a lot! I feel like an emotional basket case today. i think it's starting to sink in that we're leaving. i love you!

    ReplyDelete